The school was founded in 1729 after the death of John Wolmer who left in his will Â£2,300 from his estate to start a "Free School" in his parish of his death.
Other persons made important contributions to the establishment and growth of Wolmerâ€™s. They have been honoured by having the houses at Wolmerâ€™s Boysâ€™ School named after them.
William Crosse: - He was a wealthy merchant, slave holder and wharf owner. In 1736 he willed his house and 21 acre pen in St. Andrew to Wolmerâ€™s. This land is now part of Up Park Camp. The trustees of the school sold this land (Wolmerâ€™s Pen) to the â€˜authoritiesâ€™, who wanted to secure a better water supply to the Camp, in 1820.
Thomas Harrison :- He was the Attorney General for the colony. In 1778, he donated Â£20 to the school.
Ellis Wolfe :- He was a wealthy and influential Jew. In 1818 he left in his will Â£1,000 to the school, on the condition that at least 12 Jewish boys per annum were received as free scholars.
William Patterson :- He donated Â£500 to the school, probably in 1739.
Edward Hanna :- He donated the senior Biology, Chemistry and Physics laboratories, which completed construction in 1940, in memory of his late brother Oscar Hanna, who attended Wolmerâ€™s between 1915 and 1919.
Dr. Ludlow Moodie :- He donated Â£30,000 to the construction of the new building for Wolmerâ€™s Preparatory School, in the 1960s.
Sir Florizel Glasspole :- He attended Wolmerâ€™s in the early 1930s and went on to distinguish himself in Jamaicaâ€™s political affairs. He served as Governor-General for Jamaica between 1972 and 1992. He served on the 250th anniversary committee and was instrumental in spearheading the construction of the 6th Form Building.